Pages

Saturday 1 February 2014

Tell A Good Story

"I need a story to tell at church and I can't find one!" 

How many times have I heard this or even said it myself.  If you've been telling the children's story at church for as many years as I have you may have exhausted your files several times over and are looking for a fresh new take on the old, old stories so dear to us all.  

Today, while sitting in church, listening to the story along with the kiddies I had a flash of genius (don't laugh).  I'll blog the stories (the best ones) and give any links for songs, colouring pages or activities so anyone can have access to these stories that are wasting away on my computer's word processor files. 

I don't know how you do it at your church but we usually take turns each week telling the story just before the sermon.  I like to provide a coloring sheet with an appropriate picture/activity, Bible verse and song to help the children retain the valuable stories and lessons learned.  (That's the teacher in me!) I also include the song in the church bulletin and everyone sings it following the story.  Don't forget to end the session with a simple prayer.  

Not every story will be a Bible story but each story should have a spiritual application that can be identified by the children listening.   And I might add the adult congregation is usually just as interested in the story as the children are.  Some are new Christians and the stories are fresh and unheard of by some.  The simple stories for children are also food for the new Christian adult. 

We must always remember our task is not to entertain--a clown or TV show can do that.  But we should tell the stories in an interesting and captivating way that will capture the listeners' attention.  (You know how tiring it is to sit through a dry and boring presentation.) The listeners should remember not that Mrs. Gill was marching around the front of the church but that Mrs. Gill was marching around the front of the church just like the Children of Israel marched around Jericho just before God gave them victory and the walls of Jericho fell down.  We are telling the best stories from life and most importantly of Jesus and His Word.   Ours is indeed a most crucial and life-preserving challenge. 

I hope you will be able to use and adapt any of the stories you find here for use in your church or children's programs.  
 

Gentle Jesus
Gentle Jesus, meek and mild,
Look upon a little child;
Pity my simplicity,
Suffer me to come to Thee.


Loving Jesus, gentle Lamb,
In Thy gracious hands I am;
Make me, Saviour, what Thou art,
Live Thyself within my heart.


I shall then show forth Thy praise,
Serve Thee all my happy days;
Then the world shall always see
Christ, the Holy Child, in me.
~ Charles Wesley~ 

2 comments:

  1. This is an awesome idea! I'm so excited to have found your blog. I've been doing that myself... saving my stories and picture sources the last few times I've told Children's Story. I will be returning often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment. I've been telling stories for years and it just occurred to me I should blog them for others. I'm trying to publish a story each week.

      Delete